CAN RICE WATER DAMAGE YOUR HAIR?
We all have been fed up with hair damage, at least once in our life. And with hair problems comes home remedies to fix them. People tend to find organic solutions for rough and damaged hair, something they can make at home and is completely natural. Most of these solutions are age old and are passed down by our ancestors.
For example - The women of the Yao Tribe in Southwest China have preserved this ancient secret and passed it on for several generations, the secret to their long and glorious hair is…Fermented Rice Water! The Yao women’s hair reached a Rapunzel-esque 17ft…so, who wouldn’t borrow a solution from women like them?
Rice water is the starchy water left over after rice is cooked or left to soak. It is thought to make the hair smooth and shiny, as well as help it grow faster. Rice water contains many of the vitamins and minerals contained in rice. These include amino acids, B vitamins, vitamin E, minerals, antioxidants.
A] What’s So Special About Rice Water?
The reason why rice water works is because when rice grains are soaked, their high starch content (70-80 percent) and plenty of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants saturate the water. These components, when rubbed into your hair and scalp, deliver a powerful punch of nutritious and hydrating benefits that permeate into the hair and scalp. The starch in rice coats hair strands, strengthening the hair. The added body, gloss, and de-frizzing impact that your hair will experience after utilising the rice water rinse might also be attributable to this starchy coating.
B] Can Rice Water Harm Your Hair?
Although rice water is said to be really beneficial for your hair, there can be side effects of rice water on hair that can cause damage to your hair as well. The side effects of rice water include things like, if you’re using it too regularly or leaving it on your hair for too long, it can lead to protein overload. Rice proteins produce a covering on the surface of the hair strands, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it becomes a problem when layers of proteins build up on your hair strands. Protein excess is the term for this situation. Protein overdose causes stiff, dry, and brittle hair, making it more prone to breaking. Rice has a lot of starch. The molecules of starch are big and can quickly accumulate. If rice water is left for too long or used more often, it will lose both protein and starch and as it has been said since forever, ‘excess of anything is bad’!
So, it’s all about using it in a balanced way by making sure you get the best that it has to offer, without letting it harm your hair in any way.
C] How to use rice water?
To use rice water correctly, you should:
• Wash your hair using tap water and give it a good rinse.
• Pour rice water into your tresses
• The rice water should be massaged into the hair and scalp.
• Set the timer for up to 20 minutes.
• Using warm water from the tap, thoroughly rinse hair.
D] How do you make rice water?
There are different ways to make rice water and there is no ‘right’ way. Different people from different walks to life, depending on their schedules and preferences try different ways of making it. Let’s look at the popular ones:
• Take ½ cup of uncooked rice
• Rinse thoroughly
• Place rice in a bowl with 2–3 cups of water
• Leave to soak for 30 minutes
• Strain the rice water into a clean bowl
• Another way to make rice water is by boiling the rice.
• Cover ½ cup of rice with double the water typically used for cooking. Cook the rice in boiling water and strain the rice water into a clean bowl before use.
3. Fermented vs. Plain rice water
• Some researchers argue that fermented rice water offers greater advantages than plain rice water. Fermented foods have more antioxidants than nonfermented foods, according to a study. Antioxidants can help protect hair and skin cells from damage, which is why they're common in cosmetic products.
• Follow steps 1–4 of the soaking method to ferment rice water. Allow the rice water to sit at room temperature for up to 2 days before filtering to allow it to ferment. Before using, strain the rice water into a clean bowl.
For hair fall treatment and added goodness of rice water formula, Pantene has got you covered with its Pantene Hairfall Control 2in1 from the Pantene Advanced Hairfall Solution range. This blend of benefits from both hair fall shampoo and conditioner in one is created with the ancient secret of Fermented Rice Water and Pro-Vitamin B5 formula to give you flawless free-flowing hair like never before!
It saves you from all the hassle by giving you the perfect hair fall remedy pertaining to the hair fall problems that most people face.
Hair care problems are varied for different people, so your hair care products should also be so. Take a look at our diverse range of Pantene Shampoos
and Pantene Conditioners
and pick your choice!