HARSH SIDE EFFECTS OF HAIR GEL THAT YOU MUST KNOW!
We women can all relate to that feeling...
Post shower with your favorite shampoo and conditioner routine, a little tug of drying with your towel coupled with a nice blow of hair dryer, you are set for the day!
And then a few sets of frizz dry hair start standing out from the rest literally, that just doesn’t stand down even after a few strokes of patient combing. You’ve found a solution right in your bathroom cabinet! A trustworthy Hair Gel.
A little bit of here and there to keep your locks set for the day for a more presentable you, what harm can it possibly do?
Well, a lot!
Starting with becoming one of the potential hair fall reasons! To know more let’s start by understanding hair gels in detail.
A] SO WHAT ARE HAIR GELS AND HOW DO THEY WORK ON HAIR?
Hair gels are styling products used to stiffen and hold the hair into various kinds of hairstyles all day helping improve the look of hair texture, giving a groomed appearance.
The styling gel primarily works by maintaining a hold due to high viscosity by binding to the hair shaft causing the hair to stretch and hold for a longer duration. But due to the daily usage to tame the unruly hair.
Read on to find out certain side effects you must know about
B] SIDE EFFECTS OF HAIR GEL
1. Trigger Hair fall: Regular use of hair styling gels can make your hair fall gradually by affecting sebum production which is responsible for keeping the scalp moist and holding the hair from the roots. When the sebum production decreases, the scalp starts losing its grip, weakening the hair roots which may later give way to hair fall.
If the hair fall lasts for longer periods, it can eventually lead to hair thinning and baldness. Other side effects also include scalp burns, itching, irritation and scalp redness. To avoid future hair fall treatments, Dermatologists often recommend avoiding using hair styling gels altogether.
2. Dehydrate your hair shafts and scalp: Most styling hair gels have harmful chemicals which are detrimental for hair health with ingredients like alcohol and Propylene Glycol (PG) that dry off the hair shaft by breaking down the hair proteins causing cellular damage making it more prone to breakage and can end up being frizzy and unmanageable further leading up to hair fall.
3. Causes flaking and dandruff: In addition, the dehydrated and infected scalp characterized by itchiness, irritation of the scalp also leads to dandruff. As scalp loses moisture, the dry scalp becomes flaky and causes dandruff. If left untreated for a long time, this can even lead to bacterial infections or other conditions like scalp acne.
4. Speedup Hair Graying and Discoloration: This does not stop here! When hair gels are overused, hair color discoloration can also occur making the hair become gray faster. With the use of gel, the pH level of the skin starts deteriorating, and all the troubles of the hair begin. To not look aged before your actual age, it is better to avoid unnecessary and regular use of hair gel on your precious mane.
This is because the harsh chemicals present in the gel can interfere with the pH balance levels of the hair and scalp and hence further affect the hair's natural color. Your hair might initially appear faded and dull, but it could lead to premature greying as well.
So, what are the hair care tips that you can follow to prevent this altogether.
Read on to find out.
C] HOW TO PREVENT THE HARMFUL EFFECTS CAUSED BY HAIR GEL
1. Moderation: When it comes to hair gel moderation is the key. Use a very minute amount of gel to style your hair. And ensure that you’re washing it out properly after use.
2. Natural alternatives: Use natural alternatives to gels like Aloe Vera Gel and Jojoba Oils that nourish and maintain hold without compromising your hair.
3. Avoid everyday use: While not recommended, if you’re using styling gel every day you may need to wash your hair with shampoo more often too and try not to leave gel in for more than 48 hours without washing it out.
4. Right shampoo & conditioner: Start by choosing moisturizing shampoos and conditioners that nourish your hair, the right way! You can always bet on Pantene Smooth & Silky 2-in-1 that gives you silky smooth Hair, with long-lasting hair fall protection or can try the Pantene Total Damage Care shampoo and conditioner from the Pantene Advanced Hairfall Solution range for damage-free and hair fall free gorgeous hair. The best part about it is that it is enriched with Pantene's Pro-Vitamin B5 formula and Fermented Rice Water formula that gives you the healthy hair without the hair fall worries!
So, take care of your hair with the right products and the right hair care! When in doubt, always remember – less chemicals and more nourishment is the best motto for your hair care and following it religiously will give you the results you are seeking!
Hair care problems are varied for different people, so your hair care products should also be so. Take a look at our diverse range of Pantene Shampoos
and Pantene Conditioners
and pick your choice!