Greasy hair: Why is your hair oily and how to clean it?
Hair is the crowning glory of any woman and waking up with greasy hair is the not a very good feeling. It can spoil your mood and shake your confidence.
When you are weighed down by oily hair, you cannot leave your hair open or even style it the way you like. You are forced to tie it up in a ponytail or a bun.
But fret not! Pantene is here to help you defeat all your hair problems and turn every day into a good hair day.
A] LET’S UNDERSTAND WHY SOMEONE HAS OILY OR GREASY HAIR
Let’s start with some basics. The first step to tackle this problem is to ask yourself why is my hair getting so oily? It could be because of a number of reasons; however, the most common ones are genetics and your hair type or the bad choice of hair products.
● Genetics:Some of us are indeed more prone to oily hair and scalp due to our genetics. Our genes help in defining our hair type. We have sebaceous glands evenly spread out throughout the body, mainly on our scalp. These glands produce an oily substance from each skin pore called sebum. Sebum helps to maintain a natural shine and smoothness in your hair, keeping your hair healthy. It is possible to have sebaceous glands which are overactive and produce excess oil resulting in greasy hair. Your overactive sebaceous glands could also be due to climate change, lifestyle change, stress, sweat, or even a poor diet.
● Wrong hair products: The second reason for greasy hair is using the wrong product for your hair type. We all know that our skin can be oily, dry, or combination type. Similarly, the 3 main types of hair that one can have are straight, wavy, and curly. Choosing the right products and routine for your hair type is very crucial. If not taken care of, it could lead to scalp build-up, dandruff, scalp gunk, and hair loss. People have often mistaken scalp build-up to be dandruff and use the wrong hair product.
B] PANTENE’S GUIDE TO THE PREVENTION OF OILY HAIR
Here are a few tips & tricks that you can try to prevent oily hair and scalp -
- Limit washing your hair to 2-3 times a week: The biggest mistake with oily hair is washing it more frequently. You psychologically think that by washing your scalp and hair frequently, you are getting rid of all the excess oil, but you are actually drying your hair out. This could also be one of the causes of an overactive sebaceous gland. By over washing, you are stripping the natural oil out of your hair. To compensate for the lack of moisture in your hair, the sebaceous glands produce more oil than needed. This can irritate the scalp resulting in hair loss due to excess product build-up.
- Use the right products for your hair type: Styling products, shampoos, and heavy conditioners weigh down your hair and make it look flat. If you want your hair to look healthy, choosing the right shampoo and conditioner is a make-or-break game. For example, if you are battling an oily scalp and dry hair, we recommend using cleansing shampoo. The Pantene Lively Clean Shampoo is infused with Fermented Rice Water and Pantene's Pro-Vitamin B5 formula. This is the perfect shampoo for an oily scalp as it moisturizes your hair and prevents hair fall.
- Leave-in Conditioner to the rescue!: Using a leave-in conditioner after a hair wash locks in the moisture and keeps yourhair nourished. The Pantene Open Hair Miracle is the perfect option for those who always want their hair to be looking healthy and lustrous.
- Stop touching your hair constantly: The simplest way to prevent dirty hair is to stop touching it all the time. We all have the habit of constantly touching our hair at any given point in time. It could be because of nervousness or even subconscious. Just like you avoid touching your skin to prevent pimples, treat your hair the same way. We also recommend tying a bun if you cannot resist the urge to touch your hair.
- Brush but in balance: It is important to brush your hair. It removes all the knots and helps to distribute the oil evenly throughout your hair. It is important to strike a balance as excessive brushing will lead to hair breakage. Do not forget to clean your brushes as it collects dust and dirt too.
C] SAYING GOODBYE TO OILY HAIR
It’s about time we say goodbye to the oily and dirty hair days by keeping these 5 simple hair care tips in mind. For solving any problem, it is always important to get to the root cause of it. We cannot fully eliminate oil from our hair as it is a crucial part of healthy hair. If natural oil did not exist, our hair would be weak and break easily. Therefore, it all comes down to regularly cleaning your scalp, having a healthy diet, avoiding over washing the hair, and choose the right cleansing shampoo and nourishing conditioner.
A clean and healthy diet goes a long way, so make sure you include fruits and green vegetables in your diet. It is essential to stay healthy from inside as well as outside.